Given that employees’ expectations about work have changed, especially as Gen Z enters the workplace. What do you need to think about when it comes to your Gen Z workers and their health insurance?
Who Are the Zoomers
Gen Z, or Zoomers, is the most digitized generation. Gen-Zers were born between 1997 and 2009. They represent 30% of the global population, are more risk-averse, financially conscious and want work-life balance.
These are early stereotypes, but research indicates that Gen Z is money-driven and ambitious. They are in the lower income bracket, mainly because they are just starting their careers. They appear to value money more than their Millennial counterparts. Researchers believe living through a worldwide pandemic and a cost of living crisis during their formative years has profoundly impacted their personality and philosophy.
Unique Values of Gen Z
Generation Z workers think healthcare should be as accessible as online shopping. Here are some key factors that Gen Z values:
- Broad coverage: Gen Z expects their employers to provide comprehensive health insurance plans that cover a wide range of medical services and treatments. They value plans that include preventive care, mental health services, and coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- Affordability: Affordability is crucial for Generation Z. They face financial pressures, including student loan debt and a competitive job market. They appreciate employers who offer health insurance plans with reasonable premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. Gen Z values cost transparency and easy access to information about medical expenses.
- Flexibility and choice: Generation Z demands options in their health insurance plans. They prefer employers who offer a variety of plans to choose from, allowing them to select the one that best fits their needs. Flexibility is also important, so they want to personalize their coverage to fit their specific circumstances.
- Telemedicine and digital solutions: Given Gen Z’s emersion in technology, they presume employers provide telemedicine options and digital solutions for healthcare. They see the convenience and accessibility of virtual doctor visits, online health resources, and mobile apps for managing their health as standard practice.
- Mental health support: Gen Z significantly emphasizes mental health and believes their employers should prioritize their mental health too. They want health insurance plans that offer coverage for mental health services, that include therapy, counseling and programs to support mental well-being.
- Education and resources: Gen Z values employers who provide educational resources and tools to help them make informed healthcare decisions. They appreciate access to information about health insurance plans, coverage details, and assistance in understanding healthcare terminology and processes.
Solutions for Every Generation
Regardless of the generation, employees value health care more than ever.
Our whole PT Solutions team uses a client-centric approach which means our entire staff is dedicated to providing superior options and service to you and your team.